"Unless you become like litle children..."
It had been a long hot day on our recent youth choir tour; forty people crammed in a school bus, no air conditioning in the heart of central California, little time for rest stops, and lots of tired kids (and adults).
I was sitting in the front of the bus when I became vaguely aware of some kind of ruckus at the back of the bus. It was nothing major. No reason for me to go back there.
About a minute later, a rather upset seventh grade (13 year old) boy made his way up the aisle and sat next to me on the front seat. I could tell he was upset, hot, exhausted, frustrated, and angry. As he sat close to me, I knew it was time to switch into a role I'm very familiar with... Daddy! In the next few minutes I pulled the boy closer, got him in a headlock, gave him a noogie, taught him the "secret handshake," put my hand on his shoulder and talked with him about good stuff like baseball, and the swimming pool that was waiting for us when we finally got to the hotel.
Isn't this what God wants to do for all of us?
Next time you go to worship, or take time to pray, you may be going through some heat. You may be tired, emotionally exhausted, or angry. But when you place yourself within God's reach, He's there to pull you closer to Him, get you in a headlock, give you a noogie, teach you the "secret handshake," put his hand on your shoulder and talk with you about the good stuff.
Those few moments on that bus made that boy's day. Your few moments with God can do the same for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment